- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 2001
- Rice University, B.A., 1998
- International Cannabis Bar Association, Board of Directors Member
- National Cannabis Industry Association, Risk Management & Insurance Committee Member
- California Lawyers Association, Cannabis Industry Practitioners Group Co-Founder
- California Cannabis Industry Association, Diversity, Inclusion & Social Equity Committee Member
- Bar Association of San Francisco, Cannabis Law Section Immediate Past Chair
- Top 20 California Cannabis Lawyers, The Los Angeles/San Francisco Daily Journal
- Northern California Super Lawyer, Cannabis Law and Business & Corporate Law, Super Lawyers® Magazine
- Professional of the Year Award, The Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- Top 200 Global Cannabis Lawyers, Cannabis Law Journal
Shay Aaron Gilmore
With over 20 years of experience as a California attorney, Shay Aaron Gilmore advises and counsels successful cannabis operators and investors through the corporate, commercial, and regulatory complexities of California’s legal cannabis markets with foresight, unswerving integrity, and a focus on client service.
Shay’s law practice includes outside general counsel services to California cannabis operators and investors regarding entity formation and financing, corporate governance, commercial transactions, local permitting, state licensing, and regulatory compliance issues across the entire cannabis supply chain, from seed to sale. Shay is actively involved in local, state, national and international cannabis legislative and regulatory efforts, including through his work on the Board of Directors of the International Cannabis Bar Association, as well as his leadership of the California Lawyers Association Cannabis Industry Practitioners Group.
The Los Angeles/San Francisco Daily Journal has recognized Shay as one of the Top 20 Cannabis Lawyers in California. Super Lawyers® Magazine has named Shay a Northern California Super Lawyer in Cannabis Law, and in Business & Corporate Law as well. Prior to founding The Law Office of Shay Aaron Gilmore, Shay practiced law at major national and international law firms, where he distinguished himself in a range of complex matters including commercial litigation, employment litigation, and regulatory compliance examinations. Shay also served as in-house corporate counsel in the legal departments of two major financial institutions, providing advice and counsel on corporate governance, mergers & acquisitions, commercial transactions, product development, government affairs, corporate litigation, and regulatory compliance matters.
Shay’s work with California cannabis operators and investors includes private mergers & acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity financings, cannabis distribution and supply agreements, cannabis licensing and product development counsel, employment and labor counsel, real estate acquisitions, and regulatory compliance guidance honed to protect and expand access to legal cannabis in California. Shay volunteers his time with the San Francisco Office of Cannabis to provide pro bono legal services to verified equity applicants under San Francisco’s Cannabis Equity Program. In 2023, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors appointed Shay to a seat on the San Francisco Cannabis Oversight Committee.
Recognized by the State Bar of California with the Wiley W. Manuel Pro Bono Service Award, Shay has also served as a Commissioner on the State Bar of California’s Judicial Nominees Evaluation Commission, and as a member of the Judiciary Committee of the Bar Association of San Francisco. Shay holds a B.A. in Economics from Rice University and a J.D. from The University of Texas School of Law.